Friday, April 24, 2009

'Never a dull moment'

The abroad stories never end. Most are good. Some are bad. Last night we had one of the latter.

We went to this club called Radost with a bunch of people from our building. Normal night, everyone was having a good time. Until I turn around and half of Tyler’s face is covered in blood. I didn’t see it, but apparently he mouthed off to some guy, who then smashed a glass on his face.

So Tyler has a pretty deep gash above his left eye, blood everywhere. One of the bouncers calls an ambulance and I go with him to the “emergency room.”

Culturally, Prague is great. Health care, however must not be one of their top priorities. The guy in the ambulance asked for cash from Tyler. No way was that happening. We get to the “emergency room,” Tyler still bleeding pretty well and a guy goes in ahead of him. If the extent of this guy’s injury was a hangnail on his pinkie finger, I’d be surprised. He looked fine. They deal with him for 20 minutes or so, Tyler still bleeding. Tyler then wants water. The “supervisor” walks me across the courtyard to a vending machine with Pepsi and 7up. No water in the emergency room. I know; it’s a lot to ask. Finally they take Tyler in. After 20 more minutes, I knock on the door, the “nurse” swings the door open and the lock cuts my hand. Actually, I just wanted to fit in blood-wise. Anyway, I look at the “nurse’s” computer, and she’s playing video games. Some place. The “doctor” gives Tyler three of four stitches, finally, and we get the hell out of there after about two hours of mayhem. Back to Templova by 5:30 a.m. No big deal, except Tyler looks like Frankenstein’s brother today.

Off to Poland in a few hours. I’m not gonna lie, it’s tough not to be home this weekend. Celtics playoffs, Red Sox-Yankees, Bruins wait for Round 2, NFL Draft. And I’ll be in a concentration camp for it. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment