Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Top 14 things I miss about the States

Not that I want end my journey anytime soon, but still, there are some things I miss about the other side of the pond.

In no particular order:

1) My own room. Sharing a small room with two other kids gets old pretty quickly. Not that I don't like Max and Tyler, but the phrase "alone time" hasn't existed for me in 10 weeks.

2) A dishwasher. Hand-washing dishes, silverware, pots and pans isn't exactly causing me to break a sweat, but it is a bit of a hassle.

3) A dryer. They simply don't exist in this entire continent.

4) ESPN. Well, English TV in general. I do enjoy CNN International, but a station change would be nice every once in a while. I can't wait to post up on my couch and listen to Kornheiser and Wilbon call each other knuckleheads. I even kind of miss Tony Reali.

5) Chex Mix. Ham-flavored potato chips just don't get the job done. I couldn't even finish a whole small bag. I don't think that's ever happened to me before.

6) Buffalo chicken. From Andrea's will be my first lunch when I get home.

7) Using my cell phone without rationing minutes. Walks to and from school are so much more boring. Thank god for podcasts.

8) Texting the shit out of people. 165-minute classes are that much more brutal. Thank the same god for wireless Internet.

9) Free water. Screw paying for bottled water at restaurants. All I want is tap water. Is that too much to ask for?

10) Eastern time. I woke up today for class and the Red Sox game wasn't over yet. It started at 4 a.m. and ended after 8. I couldn't even watch the NCAA Championship game. It started at 3.

11) Talking sports. No one gives a damn about American sports out here. Except Tyler.

12) A non-twin bed. Actually, I don't even have that at home.

13) Good deli meats. I'm getting sick of salami and sausage.

14) Driving. No freedom with public transportation.

I don't mean to sound spoiled, but I am living in the Czech Republic, for crying out loud!

1 comment: