Wednesday, February 18, 2009

HC Sparta for life!

Well maybe not, but after witnessing a 3-2 third-period Sparta victory, I’ll consider myself a temporary fan, as the team heads into the postseason. The level of play wasn’t great – Wisconsin would definitely handle both club teams on the ice – but it was still good hockey, nonetheless…

The true fans were certainly into it. The real diehards stand behind the net and four of them beat drums and lead cheers, creating real home ice advantage. Teslo Arena fits about 4,000 (my estimation), about 2/3 of which was filled last night. Not exactly an NHL game, but unlike at American professional games, all the fans – including the 70-plus-year-old woman behind me, who was wearing a Sparta jersey – were passionate about their team, cheering with the goons to my right…

They have cheerleaders behind the opposite goal on a stage, dressed like NFL cheerleaders. Pretty ridiculous.

A couple of times per period, 90% of the lights go off in the building, four teenaged girls dressed like the cheerleaders skate out to both nets and sweep around the creases. More ridiculous.

Apparently they don’t value objective reporting, as the cameramen were all wearing Sparta jerseys and hats.

The referees – all four of them – had their names on their zebra jerseys.

Every time Sparta scored, after the cheering subsided, everyone held up their team scarves over their heads, as if to praise their players for finding the back of the net.

Ticket: 120 crowns

Beer: 30 crowns

Hot dog: 20 crowns

Being at my first HC Sparta game…I don’t know about priceless, but I am glad I went.

1 comment:

  1. Like the added picture. Helps us get the full experience.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete